Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Linkage

If you want to know what I'm thinking, just read Betty Duffy.

And read Betty Duffy
.

Emily J.'s take on Erica Jong's take on motherhood. I love Emily's comments; what struck me about the Jong article was that it never seemed implied that a mother might actually love her children and want to do what was best for them, regardless of whether that choice was AP or working full-time.

A meme about books which brought back good memories.

Speaking of memories, the worst book I ever read.

4 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

Linkage! Thanks. Also, I have a beer here with your name on it...

Emily J. said...

Hey! I want to come to the party, too! Why do I always miss out on the fun?

I had to cringe, Mrs. D, when I saw your review for Outlander. I think that's what's up next for the Navy wives' book club. Maybe I'll skip the book and just show up for the wine, although I usually try to defy the nonreading book clubber stereotype. But if this book has a bunch of sex in it, it will probably be the most talked about book of the year.

mrsdarwin said...

Emily, I guess it depends. I don't like a ton of sex in books, and I felt this crossed the line into truely skeezy bodice-ripper territory. Also, I cannot downplay the utter disgustingness of making female fantasy material out of homosexual rape. I don't care if that is a spoiler; I didn't expect that, and I was completely appalled. And then I was offended by the Catholicism mashed in at the end. Also, weird sadism fetish. I would not read another thing by the author.

But let me tell you how I really feel about it. :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Well, I've said this before (elsewhere . . . in a place I'd rather forget), but I don't think the Catholic twist was really "mashed in" at the end, although it made some pretty terrible time travel theology. (I should know. I could write a book about the theology of time travel. Seriously.)

As perverse as this must sound, I really think Claire's character could only have come from an imagination seeded by the predicament of Mary--who was first Heaven's "outlander" on earth and then earth's "outlander" in Heaven. That Gabaldon created Claire for one of the most festishy series in Romance is just really, really unfortunate.