Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Saturday, January 05, 2013

What Is Truth?

The opening of this piece really struck me:
Lance Armstrong, the former professional cyclist who was recently stripped of his seven Tour de France titles, has told his associates that he is weighing his options for making a public acknowledgment that he had doped during his cycling career, according to a person familiar with the matter.

His possible confession, if he goes forth with one, could enable Mr. Armstrong to begin the process of restoring his public reputation, which has been badly damaged in recent months.
This Kabuki theater of publicly considering whether to admit to something (thus making it absolutely clear, were it not so already, that the thing was done) underlines how low our expectations for truth telling have become in our culture.  The question of "what is the truth" seems to have taken a permanent back seat to "how shall we manage communication?"

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I wouldn't be surprised if Armstrong tries to spin his admission as a necessary lie in order to keep competing. In other words, I expect him to rescind in a few years after he finishes his triathlon career saying he was forced into lying in order to maintain his career.

Anonymous said...

We are deep into Pete Rose territory. I think I might even prefer the Rose approach over this apparently proposed Armstrong approach.

Rob

Foxfier said...

I've frequently been required to "admit" to something that I didn't do in order to be allowed to go back to normal.

Usually, I tell them to go take a flying leap; a couple of times, that wasn't an option.

No idea which this is, although what I've heard of the farce makes me think it's more ego based than anything to do with facts.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm reminded of the time Lindsay Lohan was asked in an interview what the one thing she wanted to change about herself was, and she said . . . the public's perception.

I wouldn't be surprised if that had always mattered more to Armstrong than the titles.