It's good penance to read this kind of stuff seven years later, as a kind of time capsule of preciousness. I'll point out right here that I don't know at least one of the things on my own list, and several from Darwin's. Here's a few choice additions that didn't make the list then:
- Knowing how to make a gracious apology
- Knowing how to keep your mouth shut when you haven't anything constructive to say
- Knowing that although you are unique in the eyes of God, your feelings, experiences, and opinions are probably not so in the eyes of man.
- Knowing that although sarcasm gets quick laughs, kindness builds more enduring relationships.
- Knowing that you don't know everything, and that's okay.
I'll tell you what: having eight years of writing archived for public consumption punctures any puffed-up belief I may have had in my own vast maturity of years past. Egad.