Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

The Immediate Book Meme

There are plenty of memes that want to know all about your book history and your all-time greats and your grand ambitions, but let's focus on something more revealing: the books you're actually reading now, or just read, or are about to read. Let's call it The Immediate Book Meme.

1. What book are you reading now?

The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton
On Beauty and Being Just, by Elaine Scarry
John Adams, David McCullough
Sirach
On the Incarnation, by St. Athanasius*
The Prisoner of Zenda, by Anthony Hope*
Mythology, by Edith Hamilton*

2. What book did you just finish?

Wisdom
Sense and Sensibility, by Joanna Trollope
The Poor Clare, by Elizabeth Gaskell
On Moral Fiction, by John Gardner
How Fiction Works, by James Wood
A Sailor of Austria: In Which, Without Really Intending To, Otto Prohaska Becomes Official War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg Empire, by John Biggins
And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie
Notes on Directing, by Frank Hauser

3. What do you plan to read next?

La Peau de Chagrin (The Wild Ass's Skin), by HonorĂ© de Balzac
Medusa's Web, by Tim Powers

4. What book do you keep meaning to finish?

Big surprise here: The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne. I'll read it when Brandon picks it as his Fortnightly Book

5. What book do you keep meaning to start?

The Iliad, translated by Caroline Alexander

6. What is your current reading trend?

Interesting stuff my friends recommend.

3 comments:

Brandon said...

I'm currently going back and forth about whether to do Tristram Shandy starting next week or wait till after Easter. Would one be more convenient for you?

MrsDarwin said...

Oh gosh, definitely after Easter for a doorstop like Tristram. I feel like I need to pare down my reading for Lent to the essentials, or at least try reading one book at a time, because right now I feel like I'm giving short shrift to the books I'm reading piecemeal.

The Wild Ass's Skin finally came in at the library, so I hope to start it tonight.

Brandon said...

After Easter it is, then. I think I'll do Waugh's Helena next week, then.