Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Thursday, July 04, 2024

Readers

 "In your forties," the eye doctor tells me as he jots down what magnification I should look for, "your eyes can change suddenly." Early- to mid-forties, says Dr. Google, is when presbyopia kicks in, a fancy word for age-related farsightedness. I am mid-forties exactly, 45, and sure enough, this past year I've started to notice that it's harder to focus on things close up. My eyes are remarkably healthy, says the eye doctor, good nerves and 20/20 for distance (which must mean that I was formerly more acute than 20/20, because it seems like distance isn't quite what it used to be either). 

For someone just starting in on presbyopia, drugstore readers are good enough ("buy a pack," says the doctor, "you'll lose one pair") at a mild 1.25 magnification. And what do you know, suddenly my phone screen is crisp, and the paperwork at the table, readable before, is now comfortable. "Dawg, you look like an old granny," howls my tall, suave 15yo son, who has never been old or fat a day in his life. Dawg, I feel like an old granny. I don't need my eyes to tell me that I'm aging. I feel old. I miss the days when my veins and ankles didn't puff at the mere thought of eating something salty. I envy the boundless energy of friends who always seem to be on the go. I am not always on the go, but I'm always pulled in seven different directions. 

This evening, I sat down on the couch with my readers and my almost 7yo son, who can sound out letters just fine but scornfully resists all my attempts to trick him into helping me read a book. I sat, I say, but quickly found myself drifting off to sleep between pages. I'm not the only snoozer in the house. My oldest has spent most of the week since surgery napping, and my second daughter, down with strep, has also been asleep all day. They have not been reading in their waking hours, mostly, but watching Columbo or other vintage mystery shows. Columbo is a show the whole family can get into, gathered in the living room, tucked on couches or a college beanbag which is absolutely not going to take up permanent residence on my floor. "Oh, just one more thing," we all chant dutifully as Columbo bumbles back into the room to deliver the coup de grace to the perpetrator, who always deserves it.

It's about my speed right now. I want to read something real and essential, something that sharpens my intellect. On my nightstand is The Cloud of Unknowing, which I'm dipping into in small bits. I started reading James in my Bible the other night, and fell asleep. Best I can do a lot of days is the Office of Readings -- just the readings, not the Psalms as well, because I often get interrupted. And then, this evening, when the heat and the humidity finally balanced out to something endurable, I took a walk with my daughter, who turns 14 on Friday, and we passed a Little Free Library. Among the books was one I'd read a review of in the Wall Street Journal, an escapist beach read, and friends, I almost picked it up. I don't even know myself anymore.

"Mom," said my daughter, "do you know in the books section at Kroger they have something called Amish Romance? Why do people even read that? What are they about?"

"I have never read an Amish Romance," I said, truthfully. "I think people are looking for stories about love and connection and happiness, and they feel like something that seems old-fashioned is more wholesome."

"And there are the books with guys with no shirts on. Why do people read those?"

"People read those kind of romances because they're bored or lonely, or because they just want to read about sex."

"That's gross," proclaimed my daughter, who is in a pious phase. "Why do people want to read about that?"

"People sometimes look for a neatly-packaged thrill in fiction, because real life is often messy and tedious and has the added complication of being real."

"I think it's weird. Mom, look, that house is for sale. Mom, do you like that house? Someone I know said that someone she knows said that her mom said that houses were too expensive here. I think her name was Megan, or maybe it was something else..."

We strolled on, our evening constitutional untroubled by silence.

Perhaps an inexpensive pair of reading glasses from a chain drugstore is the magic bullet that suddenly removes all barriers to reading, and magnifies my energy and attention span along with the print on the page. I'd certainly read that neatly-packaged fiction. I expect, however, that my readers will go missing as often as my laptop and phone do, and I'll find the same culprits fooling around with them because it's funny to make things look bigger. "Look, Mom!" they'll say. "Mom, look. Mom, did you know..." And so we grow, in age, and, perhaps, in grace and wisdom, and eventually, time will make readers of us all, even the almost 7yo.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I've found my reading declining the past few years -- still considerable compared to most people's, because it's coming down from a very high high, but definitely less than it was. I have a harder time reading *through* things than I used to -- I read less if it is noisy, if it is hot, if it is cold, if I am feeling unwell, if there is anything even slightly disruptive going on, if I am multitasking in any way. None of these used to have much effect on my overall reading, but now they all do. And the books I do read I seem to get through more slowly. And I'm dealing with an experience I've never had before -- I feel I've mostly read most of the books I'm interested in reading; I still enjoy the act of reading, and I still have books I want to read, and new books still come out occasionally that I'm excited about, and these thihngs will probably never change, but they are also no longer quite the motivation they used to be, and my most successful reading is when I have some very specific external purpose for reading what I am reading.

MrsDarwin said...

It's a mild point of friction at the house that I can read through almost anything, but I do find that my concentration is... less concentrated. I scan more than I used to, if the book isn't particularly excellent. I would love to read a fine new book, but I don't find many that I think are all that good. I am hypersensitive now to trendy writing, whether in devotional, fictional, or analytical contexts, and certain styles set my teeth so on edge that I just refuse to read them.

Likewise, I used to struggle more valiantly through complex writing, especially if I felt the piece was something I ought to be reading. Now, simplicity in composition is a virtue. If you write like you don't know what you're saying, I don't know that it falls to meto make up for that deficiency with my limited stock of attention.

I leave a book unfinished now if I don't like it, instead of struggling through to see if it redeems itself on the last page (so seldom). In the most shocking reversal of all, I've started throwing away books. I recently read a book I didn't like (not one I bought, but one that was donated, and so free), and I didn't want it in the house. Instead of passing it on, I tossed it. Why inflict the tome on someone else? Not every book is sacred.