Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Resolutions for the New Year

I suppose it's rather late in the year, already, for publishing resolutions. Most people have already moved on to breaking their resolutions, now that we're a full nine days into the near year.

Actually, I've never been much of a one for new year's resolutions. However, with the new year beginning, and two and a half years of blogging stretching out behind me, I a few minor changes needed in order to make sure that blogging remains something sustainable in the time to come.

I've been contemplating giving up blogging, from time to time over the last few months. However, I think I've definitely decided to keep it up. (Feel free to express your displeasure with this and reasons why I should quit in the comments!) But as other projects call, it seems that a little bit of moderation and prioritizing may be necessary.

I've tried over the last couple years to assure that something-or-other is posted on DarwinCatholic every weekday -- mostly because I myself prefer to read blogs which provide new content most days. At this point, however, I think I may be backing of that commitment just a little bit. I think I can promise at least 2-3 posts per week, and I'll make sure they're solid, substantive ones. But writing at least one solid post every day has the tendency to use up all my writing time for the day, and so I think a little backing off may be necessary.

In tandem with slightly reduced blogging volume on DarwinCatholic, I'll be getting back to regular writing at the Humanities Program. Expect fairly regular links to new content over there in coming months.

Watching all sorts of people put up lists of the books they read during 2007 has made me realize that I never keep any sort of track of this, so I think I'll add a block to the sidebar to track books for the year.

Also, finally, I'm starting to think dark thoughts of trying to write fiction again after about ten years. To that end, a fiction blog (with very occasional postings) will be making its appearance in the next month or two.

And now for a word from you: Is there any interest in a continuation of the Dante series this coming Lent? (Feel free to say "no" if that's the answer.)

9 comments:

Rick Lugari said...

I started to write a stupid comment here this morning and decided against it. But since a post like this deserves some commentary and your other reader apparently doesn't care enough, I'll humor you, friend.

I'm glad you're not hanging it up.

Don't worry about infrequent posting, now that many people use rss readers you don't have to worry about them getting bored with checking on you only to be disappointed when they waste a click.

I like the Dante posts, but only do it if you have the time and motivation. Blogging should also be fun for you.

I really appreciate the type of commentary like the post below this one. Keep it up.

Of course, it goes without saying that I'd like to see more posts about hot babes and guns.

We've discussed before how disconnected we are from the pop culture scene and that we could stand to be a little more informed in that regard. Here's your chance for self-improvement and to help your fellow man. Make a concerted effort to learn about the pop culture scene and report to us what you learn. An example from my experience: Today I learned there is such a thing as the Golf Channel. I know, go figure. But get this, I also learned that they have a hot babe anchor who loves Monty Python and the Holy Grail. She's in the news for something or another, but who really cares why unless it's for kissing another girl or something - which it's not because I probably would have caught a detail like that. Point is, you could be the go-to guy that us pop-culture ignorant folk can go to to be informed.

And what about sports? How about an illustrated guide to the Pro Women's Beach Volleyball circuit? Do that and you might even pick up another reader or two hundred.

Matthew Lickona said...

KILL IT. KILL THE BLOG. IF YOU WANT TO WRITE FICTION, KILL THE BLOG AND WRITE FICTION. DON'T END UP LIKE ME, A HOPELESS ADDICT. KILL IT! IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW GOOD IT IS. IF YOU WANT TO WRITE FICTION, WRITE FICTION. EVEN ON A BLOG. BUT KILL IT! Or, you know, don't. As the spirit leads you. You know we love you, but still. And thanks much for the shout-out.

Darwin said...

Rick,

Maybe I can send you off as an in-the-field reporter to get the story on some of this target shooting?

I enjoy doing the Dante stuff, but my enjoyment of writing tends to reduce a lot if I get the impression no one wants to read it. I guess I'll see how I feel in Feb.

Matthew,

It's all about division of time, as I see it. Blogging usually happens during spare moments when I'm at the office. No way fiction can happen that way regardless.

But then, I don't have the hair for really serious fiction writing anyway.

Rick Lugari said...

Heh, sounds like a challenging but worthwhile assignment. Perhaps we should do a groundbreaking expose on the right to bear arms and bare breasts. Maybe even an in depth look at the effectiveness and desirability of liberal concealed carry laws.

Darwin said...

Call me old-fashioned, but I've always believed that some things are best carried concealed. (Or at least partially so.) It's not ancient Crete, you know. (Though the Cretan lady does appear to be bearing some sort of weaponry.)

Then, of course, there's the question of bear arms.

Entropy said...

I know I'm late to this but judging by the lack of many comments on this post, my guess is this is what most people, including me, are thinking:
Geez, I really love this blog and all the wonderful commentary the Darwins offer. However, I feel like a complete idiot typing "We love you; Don't go!" in the combox.

And so we say nothing.

Keep up the good work.

Rick Lugari said...

I admit my taste is a bit more modern than some, and that I enjoy some of the privileges/rights that we take for granted. For example, not everyone was as fortunate as the Cretan lady when it came to bearing arms.

Oh, and We love you; Don't go!

;)

Darwin said...

Entropy,

Aw, gee...

Rick,

That's my kind of girl: a little cold maybe, but no arms to push you away with...

Kyle Cupp said...

Hope you continue, Darwins.