Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Maintaining the Status Quo here

Where's baby's head? Oh, it's still right up top. Yesterday was acupuncture and moxibustion -- baby squirmed and wiggled obligingly, but no dice. Today is acupuncture and moxibustion, round two. Tomorrow: massage. Next week: chiropractic treatment and external versioning.

Unfortunately, it sounds like if baby doesn't turn we're definitely in for a c-section. This means that a) I want to try the external versioning as early as possible, because I'd be really peeved if I went into labor before it was even attempted and had an automatic c-section regardless of whether he could be turned; and b) it's time to look for a doctor and a hospital. I suppose this wouldn't be so much of an issue if we were already seeing a regular ob-gyn, because we could just switch game plans. But since the midwife obviously doesn't do c-sections at home, we need to be ready to transfer care, and I'd like to meet the operating doc before I'm on the business end of the knife. (Just typing that makes me want to cry.)

Also, we need to figure out emergency child-care. My mother is coming out a week before baby is due, but as we'd been planning a home birth, even if baby came before that we'd have some leeway as to when a babysitter could show up. But if we're rushing to the hospital we need a plan for getting an adult on the scene quickly, or stashing the kids somewhere quickly. (Confidential to Big Tex and family: oh, how we miss having you so close! Move back!)

Of course baby may well still turn, on his own or with help -- we're only at 37 weeks today. But I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged, and I'd welcome your continued prayers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put me on speed dial. I'd be happy to rush over and babysit!

Anonymous said...

Praying!

Kiwi Nomad said...

From this upside-down part of the world, I send sincere wishes that young boy Darwin soon gets his upside-down as well! Thinking of you.

Kiwi Nomad said...

'his head upside-down' that should have read!

Meredith said...

I can't imagine how stressful that must be.

Hang in there!

Literacy-chic said...

Wish I was closer. He could still turn! Got yoga DVDs? I could overnight some! Sending prayers...

Stubborn little guy, huh? Who does he get that from? :D

Barb said...

Sounds like his Uncle Will...wasn't he breech too?
I do know several people whose babies turned all by themselves at the end...it could still happen!
Praying ....

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Praying hard here. Wish I were close enough to offer to babysit.