Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Orphan Openings: Trauma Team Edition

Though hardened by fifteen years service on the Fruit & Vegetable Clean-up Team, Kurt felt a tightening in his gut as cleanup vehicles flashing lights played across the carnage: some three dozen watermelons fallen off a pickup truck onto I-35. Broken rinds littered the road, the lights of the emergency vehicles making them first more livid red, then purplish blue. Pulp and seeds were thrown every which way, with tire treads running through the carnage and spattering it up on the guard rails.

"You expect to see this kind of thing in a war," Kurt told the reporter from News Nine, trying to assume the tough but sensitive man who's seen too much demeanor that would lead her to call him later. "But this is no war. This is right here at home. Seeds and pulp thrown all over like an artillery barrage hit an infantry battalion."

One of the other men dropped an armful of broken rinds into the cleanup bin, touched the crucifix hanging around his neck, and murmured a prayer.

Kurt shook his head. "How can you believe in God when you see things like this?"

3 comments:

Dorian Speed said...

Something about this reminds me of Jasper Fforde, particularly the Nursery Crimes series.

(See? I read books.)

The Opinionated Homeschooler said...

Years ago I was stuck behind an accident on northbound I-35 right before the downtown split. There were guys in hazmat suits wandering around up ahead, which got my attention.

As I crept up closer to the accident, to my horror I saw torn flesh all over the highway. I couldn't believe there weren't ambulances all over, or that traffic hadn't been diverted completely. Quite honestly it was traumatic to see.

Then at the very end of it all ... I saw it had been a meat truck that had gone over and spilled its cargo all over (thus apparently the hazmat suits, though I've never quite understood that part). Oddly, it was all then very funny and non-traumatic. Seems like the APD ought to have put up a traffic sign saying "Not As Bad As It Looks."

black trousers said...

As I crept up closer to the accident, to my horror I saw torn flesh all over the highway. I couldn't believe there weren't ambulances all over, or that traffic hadn't been diverted completely. Quite honestly it was traumatic to see.