Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Naked

Some telling Advent thoughts from Pentimento (who is always thoughtful, and always quotable):
The old joke is that, if you look hard enough, you can find your own phone number in the Bible. Well, I know mine is in there. Like our first parents, I have been tempted with the Ur-temptation, the one that has us believing we can have power equal to God's, which is certainly the root of all the nightclubbing, promiscuity, recreational drug use, and so forth. But the education in evil I received before my conversion was nothing compared to what I've learned about it since. I suppose it takes an egregious sinner to sneak up in among the righteous and see how very, very many of them take the stance of the Pharisee in the temple, and yet do not see themselves in that parable. (This is true in a special way in the pro-life movement, which is full of post-abortive women who hesitate to speak openly the joyful news that they have been forgiven, for fear of the poorly-concealed horror in which they are held by some of their less-egregiously-sinful comrades.) I myself have incurred scorn in the comboxes on this blog from virtuous Catholics, who appear to believe that I don't deserve to call myself a penitent, penitence being reserved, perhaps, for those who sin but lightly. Well, wake up, people: man is fallen, and we're all naked under our clothes, and not in a pretty, Renoir sort of way, either.
Go read, if only to see the modern Annunciation at the top of the post.

1 comment:

Mrs. Cranky said...

wonderful post. It reminds me that there was a time when if my bad behavior had had different results I probably would have had an abortion. It's through God's grace that it didn't happen, but I'm ashamed of my previous views. But we all come from somewhere...no one is born a saint (save one.)