Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Multi-level Needling

Move over, you people who make crafty stuff to sell on Etsy. Look, I can crochet* purses!


Now that it's clear I have a marketable skill**, anyone want to subsidize my lifestyle by paying me big bucks for my as-yet-non-existent wares? Or better yet, who wants to sell them for me, for a cut of the action? Hey, it works for the people who participate (and want everyone else to participate) in multi-level marketing programs.

*Crochet: a two-century old art that any fool can learn. Seriously.

**Half of the handle and the blue whipstitching on the sides were contributed by Julia, age 6.
And actually, it's her purse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't crochet with anything heavier than perle cotton, and frankly I'm not so great at that. I did the angel for our Christmas tree topper, so I'm not bad I guess. But it's not comfortable. I find I prefer knitting, I feel like I have more control.

mrsdarwin said...

Geeklady, Wikipedia informs me that the first crocheting was done with thread, not yarn, so you can just say that your talent is in "vintage" crochet techniques.

I crochet much easier than I knit, though I'm sure that has to do with the fact that I learned to knit in college, while I learned to crochet at my mother's knee.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I also learned to crochet at my mother's knee. I just never took to it like my sister. It felt unwieldy.

Mom tried to teach me to knit, but I had tension problems, I was casting on so tightly that it was just impossible to knit from. I had to try wooden needles in several years ago before I could knit loosely.

I taught myself from half remembered bits of my mother knitting and the videos from knittinghelp.com exclusively so that I could knit this really wonderful viking hat for my son.

Unknown said...

Oh, that's lovely. Compliments to Julia as well on her fine work.

Grandma A.