Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Monday, October 06, 2008

American Catholic

I've been invited to join the blogging team at a new group blog focusing on the intersection of politics and Catholicism: American Catholic. I've accepted, and you can see my first post up there today, along with some great content from some of the eleven other authors.

This also gives me the chance to make some changes in the overall blog-life balance around here. I'll be funnelling most of my political posts over to American Catholic, so if you enjoy my more partisan side I strongly encourage you to join us over there. I'm also going to be reducing the post frequency on DarwinCatholic to probably 2-3 substantive posts per week -- though we may have short links and such up on other days. And for those who can get a bit tired of my election season partisanship -- the DarwinCatholic posts will be going back to your normal, non-election-year balance.

The last couple weeks my time commitment at work has been ramping up as I switch to a new set of responsibilities (more time in meetings and less time sitting around crunching data and blogging in between queries.) Also, with the new school year, I've realized that if I don't get my rear in gear with the Humanities Program it will take me upwards of a decade to work through it. And I don't want that. So I'm going to be putting more time in over there and thus necessarily less here.

All that said, DarwinCatholic will most certainly not be going away -- nor will MrsDarwin and I.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Remember, however, what Fr. Neuhaus said in Catholic Matters (and elsewhere): usually seems that the adjective controls the noun, so better maybe to think of one's self as a Catholic American, rather than vice-versa...

Darwin said...

Far be it from me to take on Fr. Neuhaus head-to-head, but while I understand and agree with the point he's making, I'd also say that often the noun identifies the substance while the adjective highlights a particular accident of it. Thus, I would say that I'm in substance a Catholic, but my time and place in history make me an American.

Be assured, however, that Fr. Neuhaus's point was discussed quite a bit among the contributors. Indeed, it think we can expect to see a post or two on that very topic over the next couple days.

(And hey, who am I to talk, as someone who's worked on the "DarwinCatholic" moniker for the last three years.)