Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Seven Quick Takes, Feb. 13


I'm the last one on the boat, I know, but here it is: MrsDarwin does Seven Quick Takes. At least I'm still holding out on a Facebook account.

1. I've been pondering a subject that's close (if not dear) to every parent's heart: poop. Specifically, why does my daughter who is two weeks shy of her third birthday not show any signs of wanting to deposit in the toilet rather than her diaper? And what does it mean that the five-month-old has curds in his? Does this mean he's ready to digest solid food? And why isn't my college degree insurance against spending my days contemplating excrement?

2. Going to see Slumdog Millionaire with friends tonight, after two months of schedule negotiations as to when both couples had a free weekend and we could all get babysitting.

3. Why was it, that when I knew Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain
had a two-week limit and I couldn't renew it because it had a hold on it, I started reading it on the thirteenth day? I'd love to tell you all about it, but I only got a third of the way through it.

4. I'm not really a big fan of Valentine's Day not because it's a Hallmark holiday (though it is) but because it's the anniversary of an unhappy event in my life unconnected to any romantic relationship. Anyone else in the situation of having a holiday also be an unrelated sad occasion?

5. A few weeks ago I looked in the mirror and realized that I had suddenly acquired a chipped tooth, with no memory of the event itself. I don't know how or when it happened, but I find it a bit alarming that pieces of me can fall off without my knowledge.

6. I'm reading Socrates' Apology and realizing that it would make a great dramatic presentation. Some theatre company should work up a stage version -- cast a fine elder-stateman actor as Socrates, have the jury and Meletus onstage, and use the Apology as the script. I'd pay to see that.

7. Philip of Macedon would have been about the most important figure of antiquity -- if his son hadn't done everything he did on a larger scale, and at a younger age.

7 comments:

Kate Wicker said...

I felt like such a loser when I started Twittering. I have a FB account, but I'm a total slacker. I confirm friends, but that's about it.

Poop is near and dear to my heart, too. Our problem was that our firstborn just wouldn't go. So the pediatrician put her on Miralax. She still held it in a record 15 days. Talk about tenacity. She turned 4 in Nov. and just has started now "listening to her body." My life truly revolved around her BMs for some time, however. Hang in there.

Kate Wicker said...

"has just started now" is what the preggo whose brain = gray sludge at this point meant.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

I didn't know that you weren't on Facebook! That's really refreshing. I thought I was the only one.

#6 and #7 cracked me up. Those are exactly the kind of Quick Takes one expects from DarwinCatholic.

Amber said...

Yay, someone else who isn't on Facebook!

Anonymous said...

Our boy is going to be three in two weeks too and no interest in letting me know when he has to poop. The good thing is he'll go if I put him on the potty; it's just a matter of me remembering (and being able) to put him on every 40 minutes. He pees a lot.

Good luck but know that you're not alone!

Heather said...

I know you're not supposed to plug your own blog on someone else's, but I posted about my own Valentine's anniversary a couple of days ago. If you want to read my take on it, feel free to stop by.

Anonymous said...

Hey You. We will not give up. You WILL get a facebook, even if we have to set up one for you. I don't like not knowing what you're doing every single second of the day... ;)

Also: You should write it/direct it yourself. I wanna see it too.