Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Church in 90 Minutes

I'm on the team giving the Adult Catechesis lectures at our parish this year, and this coming Thursday is my first presentation. The topic is the "the Church", covering chapters 10-11 in the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults. I certainly won't lack for material...

Thus far, my plan is to deviate a bit from the way the book covers the topic. I'm going to spend the first 45 minutes doing an overview of Church history, and then after a 5-10 minute break I'll cover the doctrine covered in the catechism, using the history we've covered to provide concrete examples of what I'm talking about.

Given that we're supposed to be presenting with a target audience of those who have attended mass for most of their adult lives but have not had much formal Catholic education, I'm thinking that explaining how the Church is "one, Catholic, holy and apostolic" and other doctrinal elements from the catechism will make more sense after covering historical context.

I'll post my powerpoint deck and outline when its all done. (The which is front of mind right now because I'm trying to get the lion's share of the writing done this weekend.)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fairly short and accessible history of the Church which might be listed as "further reading"?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Schreck, Compact History of the Catholic Church

bgeorge77 said...

One thing that always impresses the kids I teach is that the hands that baptize the child were in turn consecrated by the hands of the bishop, who was in his turn consecrated by a bishop... all the way back to Christ himself. There is an unbroken physical and sacramental chain going back from you to Christ that even an anthropologist from Mars would have to confirm. People like that.

Unknown said...

For the techno-savvy:
www.newadvent.org
www.vatican.va

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Of course the Fr. Laux's books are best:http://www.amazon.com/Church-History-Complete-Catholic-Present/dp/089555349X

I also have a little treasure-- a book entitled "Founded on a Rock" by Louis de Wohl!