Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Monday, March 31, 2008

So it begins


"We are being proactive, people. We are getting things done."
--Wag The Dog

Buh-bye, ugly tile. You won't be missed.

Don't laugh, ugly carpet. You're next.

A cold chisel and a big heavy hammer actually make pretty quick work of chipping out tile, though I don't recommend starting the job at 11:30 pm. Once the 25 sq. ft. of old tile has been chiseled out, we start on pulling out carpet. Then we'll lay a new and improved tile entry and a separate hearth. Then comes the wood.

Stay tuned for more exciting home renovation updates. Next time: I wonder why my arms are sore the morning after enthusiastically wielding a hefty mallet.

7 comments:

Amber said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations and good luck! I hope you'll post more pictures along the way, I always enjoy seeing what other people get themselves into as they try to make a nicer home for themselves. :-)

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Cool! I admire people who can just plow right in and get started on projects that my husband and I used to put off for a future date that never seemed to arrive.

TS said...

Oh where oh where are your priorities!? :-) This is true home improvement!

mrsdarwin said...

TS, you're killing me...

CMinor said...

Just thinking about it makes my forearms ache...
Good luck!

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Cool! My parents took out tile in their home last year, but I suspect it was more than what you're taking out because they rented a JACKHAMMER!

Though I begged and begged, I have no pictures of my mother using said jackhammer. I am very disappointed.

However, their new floor is beautiful, and the jackhammer got the job done quickly. (I did wonder if she was like the Looney Toons character who couldn't stop vibrating after using one. I didn't get pictures of that, either. Parents are no fun sometimes.)

Anonymous said...

My experience with home improvement projects can be summed up in the following phrases: "I can do this!" followed shortly by "Call the repair man!".