Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Hope, in the moment

Another fine post from Julia at Lotsa Laundry, on hope in the moment:
A few weeks back I was trying to encourage/persuade/convince my PTSD child to break a large task (getting up and getting dressed) into smaller chunks. First, sit up. After that, stand up. Then take off the jammie top. Etcetera. We were aiming for the really basic stuff. The child refused to do any of it, because it was too scary. 
I could feel my frustration rising, which is what happens when I don't know what to do. So I did what I always do in that (embarrassingly common) situation: I prayed for the words that were needed. 
What came out was this: "I'm not asking you to do anything you can't. But I am asking you to do every single thing that you can." 
Oh. Oh, yes! That was exactly it. If you can sit up, do that, and focus only on that one thing. If you can stand up, do that, and focus on the one thing. Do what you can, step by step, until you reach the point where you truly cannot go further. 
It was exactly what I needed to hear, too. Because I think that's what God asks of us: to do every single thing we can do. 
God doesn't ask me to handle this whole impossible thing: in this moment, I'm being asked to do what's required for this moment. That's all. And that I can do. It's the old, "Take care of the moment, and you take care of eternity" thing.
 Read the rest.

1 comment:

entropy said...

She amazes me. She finds such meaning in chaos.

I use some of her tips with my own kids!