Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Weird Habits Meme

I've been tagged by Rick for the weird habits meme -- list five weird habits, then inflict the meme on others. You all know the drill.

1. Not exactly weird, but just a bad habit -- I, like Rick, bite my nails. That's why I never wear any rings but my wedding ring -- no sense in drawing any unneccessary attention to my hands.

2. Here's weird for you. When I was young, my family lived in a trailer on nine acres of Virginia countryside, and we had a shared well with the neighbors. Consequently, the water pressure was low. To this day I never flush the toilet before taking a shower, scarred by childhood memories of no water pressure and no hot water.

3. I never brush my hair. Brushing makes it frizz and float. Instead, after a shower I run my fingers through it and then put a bit of Frizz-ease and gel in, then let it dry. This comes from having Naturally Curly hair -- my sisters can sympathize.

4. I eat my cereal without milk, generally -- I picked that one up from Darwin.

5. I make the sign of the cross after the Penitential Rite during Mass. Many other people do it as well, but I've never known why, and it's always slightly bothered me that if I were pressed as to why that sign of the cross is there, I couldn't answer. Anyone who knows, please tell me!

If a meme has worked its way down to me, that means that all the other bloggers have already been tagged. I'll just invite anyone who wants to list their weird habits to do so in the comment box, with a special invitation to commenter Barbfromcincy -- not because I think she has any weird habits, but because it's always a pleasure to hear from her!

7 comments:

Fred said...

Excellent question about the Penitential Rite. I learned it when I prayed the Liturgy of the Hours with some friends. I'm no expert, but here's what I think.

Although not to be confused with sacramental Confession, the Penitential Rite or Confiteor is a general confession of sinfulness. It is followed by this prayer by the priest:
"May almighty God have mercy on us,
forgive us our sins,
and bring us to everlasting life."

This is a kind of blessing and so it is appropriate for us to accept the blessing by crossing ourselves. It also seems to me that this Rite (and the prayer of the priest) echoes sacramental Confession and should remind us of the forgiveness we have received in Baptism and Confession.

Fred said...

I confess ... I bite my nails and chew on pens.

mrsdarwin said...

Thanks, Fred K!

Anonymous said...

I brush my teeth 6 times a day.

I can't look inside a persons mouth and I can't watch anyone eat, unless it's my own children.

Like, Jean, I can't stand wearing shoes if I don't have to. My poor mother spent a small fortune on new Mary Janes for me when I was little, because I would hide them or throw them away.
One year when my dad cleaned out our pond, he found three pairs of my shoes.
That was a brilliant spot (while it lasted).

Anonymous said...

I had to think a bit about this one and asked my darlin' children..
1) My darlin children say that when I'm nervous, I have a habit of pushing my hair behind my left ear...I had never noticed that I do that! hehe..
2)Like you, MrsD, I eat my cereal dry, but I also have to have ice in my orange juice when I drink it.
3) I always have to fall asleep on my right side. If I fall asleep on my left side or on my back, I usually wake up within 15 minutes and have to roll onto my right side so that I can go back to sleep.
4) At home, and when we stay in hotels, I always want Mark (my hubby) to sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door. Silly, I know, but somehow it makes me feel safer.
5) I always double-knot my shoes when I tie them. I got started with this when me darlin children were little and I was forever tying their shoes. I double-knotted theirs, and now I always double-knot mine.
Like you, Mrs D., I always do a sign of the cross during the penitential rite. I can't remember how I got started on that either..I'll have to think some more on that one. Hope you are having a blessed day and that everyone is healthy there!

Rick Lugari said...

If a meme has worked its way down to me, that means that all the other bloggers have already been tagged.

Not so, kiddo. I knew immediately that I wanted to lay this one at your feet. :p~

Fred's right, we make the sign of the cross because the priest is blessing us. I genuflect and cross myself at the blessing at the end of Mass too.

Patrick said...

(NB: If I mix up any of this liturgical terminology, sorry!)

In the Tridentine Mass, the priest makes the sign of the cross over the acolytes and congregation twice in the absolution and blessing following the Confiteor, and the congregation crosses themselves in response.

In the Novus Ordo, those two prayers are the same as before.