Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Well, I've been warned

I called the pediatrician's office this afternoon and left a message with the nurse, asking if the doctor would write a prescription for the antibiotic ointment that's put into baby's eyes right after birth. A few hours later the nurse called back to say that the doctor would send the prescription to the pharmacy this afternoon.

"But he said to advise you not to have a homebirth," she continued, "because of the risk. Even in a healthy pregnancy, things could go wrong at the last minute, or there could be an undetected condition that would need to be treated immediately."

A host of counter-arguments formed on my lips, but then a phrase from a manners column sprang to mind.

"Well, thank you," I said. "I'll take that into consideration."

The nurse laughed (she wasn't invested one way or the other) and we rang off pleasantly. But I rather wish that my pediatrician was a bit more supportive. The unexpected happens sometimes -- that's called "Life" -- but barring a major catastrophe, am I really worse off in the hands of my dedicated, twenty-years-experienced midwife than with the hassled, overworked nurses of the night shift? After two exceptionally uncomplicated births, shouldn't the medical profession be urging me to free up space in the maternity wards for the women who really need more intensive care?

Anyway, I'm just not that worried about it. If loving my homebirth is wrong, then I don't wanna be right!

2 comments:

Amber said...

We started going to a new pediatrician w/ this new little one, and they give all their new patients a photocopied book that the head doctor of the practice wrote. In the section about births, he states "Home deliveries are for newspapers and mail. There is no such thing as an uncomplicated birth until it is all over and both the newborn and the mother are totally stable."

It makes me annoyed just reading it again. I talked to my midwife about it and she said that the doctor has had a change of heart about this over the years, but hasn't gotten around to updating his tome. Still makes me mad though - like a bad outcome could never happen in a hospital! Sheesh.

I like your answer though, and I agree with you - I don't want to be right either! *grin*

Pro Ecclesia said...

One post on homebrewing and the next on homebirthing.

You folks are regular "crunchy cons". ;)