Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Read my lips; No new baby

A specter is haunting the Darwin household -- less frightening than the one that haunted Europe, but fairly daunting nonetheless: the specter of being OVERDUE.

Baby is sitting pretty this morning -- no contractions. I have a bit of a backache, but otherwise I feel like I could be pregnant for another week. (Knock on wood!) At my midwife appointment today we're going to discuss things like castor oil. At one point in time (read: before nine months pregnant) I thought that I wouldn't want anything to hasten baby along. Wouldn't it be nice, I thought, if my body did most of the work painlessly before hard labor started? Bull, I say now! Bring 'er on!

There's that scene in Courage Under Fire where Meg Ryan (the helicopter pilot in the first Gulf War) gets shot in the stomach (I think), and one of her companions asks her if she's all right.
"I gave birth to a nine pound baby, asshole," she tells him. "I think I can handle this."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just want to let you and your husband know that I enjoy your blog very much. My family will pray for a safe delivery!

Anonymous said...

Your very own personal lurker here. I just wanted to come out of lurkdom and tell you that you and the fam are all in my prayers.

(This is the part where I wanted to give you some sage advise about how to speed things along, but who am I kidding? I'm the wrong gal for that. So I'll just keep praying instead.)

Love,
Bean

Anonymous said...

I'll pray!

You might want to check into acupuncture as an alternative to other induction methods, if you go that route. It's very safe, no drugs involved, and basically works (if your body is ready) or doesn't (if not). No being hooked up to IVs and unable to walk around for hours on end -- been there, done that, won't do it again.

When I went 42 1/2 weeks (which seems to be just the natural time it takes for me to gestate a baby - 40 weeks is an average, not a law of nature), one acupuncture treatment started me into contractions within a couple of hours -- no drugs, no diarrhea, no really nasty intestinal cramps, and the treatment itself was virtually painless-- and short, in and out of the office in about an hour, only 20 minutes of that with needles in.

Get a nap in if you can!

Mrs. Dr. Dave