Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

There was a whore in Babylon, doo da, doo da

The parish bible study group is wrapping up its stint on Revelation over the next couple weeks, and what did your author get himself into? He signed up to provide a short lecture on the Harlot and the Beast in Chapter 17 and what they mean.

Has he studied or prepped yet? Not a bit.

Is it tomorrow night? Yes.
Nice to know that my study habits haven't changed since college... Must sit down with those xeroxes from Sacra Pagina and the Collegeville bible commentary tonight.

Hey, I've got it, maybe the harlot is Nero's horse that he made a Roman Senator.

7 comments:

The Pigeon said...

I think that was Caligula, not Nero.

Entropy said...

When you get some notes, you should post them! I recently had a family member tell me that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon and that if I'd just read it and I'd see.

I have to say it looks pretty damning but I'm reading a few apologetics from the Catholic side for some balance. I'd love to hear your version.

Darwin said...

Cody,

You're right of course. I had Nero in my head, I guess, because he does seem to get referred to in Revenation, but indeed it was Caligula who made his horse a senator.

Entropy,

Well, I'd tend to disagree with your relative. But I'll post more detailed notes on that later.

Darwin said...

I mean Revelation...

yeah...

long day at work, vague attempts at studying, working on the bloody Windows machine...

sigh.

Rebekka said...

I am *so* far from an expert on this topic, but Scott Hahn wrote about it a little bit in one of his books, and it was readable and made sense. I think it was the Lamb's Supper one. I'd look it up, but I loaned it to my mom.

Abu Daoud said...

Whore of Babylon who makes herself rich on the world's excess...as far as things today go it sounds like our faithful and just allies: the Noble House of Saud (Saudi Arabia).

But yes, the answer is Nero's horse :-)

Roz said...

Please do post what you ended up saying. My son is going to this Baptist Bible college, see . . .