Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Politically Incorrect Truths about Human Behavior

Psychology Today tells me what I always knew:
Physical attractiveness, while a universally positive quality, contributes even more to women's reproductive success than to men's. The generalized hypothesis would therefore predict that physically attractive parents should have more daughters than sons. Once again, this is the case. Americans who are rated "very attractive" have a 56 percent chance of having a daughter for their first child, compared with 48 percent for everyone else. (emphasis mine)
Here are some of the other "politically incorrect" truths:
  • Men like blond bombshells (and women want to look like them)
  • Having sons reduces the likelihood of divorce
  • The midlife crisis is a myth—sort of
  • Men sexually harass women because they are not sexist
Found via Arts and Letters Daily, which I found via Reconnaissance of the Western Tradition.

10 comments:

Fred said...

thanks for the secondary hat tip!

Rick Lugari said...

Men like blond bombshells (and women want to look like them)

Imagine that! Sure am glad I took a moment to read that during a commercial break of The Scandinavian Female Pillow Fighting Championships.

Now back to our feature presentation...

knit_tgz said...

What about plain-looking brunettes like me? I would look stupid if I coloured my hair blond! **sulks in corner**

mrsdarwin said...

You're lucky, Knit, because you'll be able to find a man who, unlike SOME, can transcend his baser biological urges and love the real you.

Rick Lugari said...

You're lucky, Knit, because you'll be able to find a man who, unlike SOME, can transcend his baser biological urges and love the real you.

Amen to that! And never fear, there are still plenty of us men out there who love ALL women, even those poor, immodestly dressed, buxom Scandinavian 20-somethings who participate in adolescent games of feather-war skill and strategy.

knit_tgz said...

LOL, mrsdarwin! May God bless me in due time with a husband that both loves the real me and has baser biological urges for me (I want to have kids some day!)

Histor said...

Oh great. Something is wrong in the fact that I'm not really attracted to blondes.

Must fix that somehow...

Histor

mrsdarwin said...

Don't worry, Histor. Brunettes are best. Especially brunettes with an increasing number of silver strands in their hair.

Histor said...

Okayyyyyyyy...

Re the article: I like how they explain polygamy in terms of male height and weight.

Histor

Anonymous said...

3 daughters, 1 son (who is #3). Does that mean I don't need that extreme makeover after all?