Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bears in the Hood

A friend alerts me to this breaking news tidbit: Bear Knocks on Door for Food.
A bear has become an unwanted guest in one Croatian town after learning how to knock on the door to trick people into letting it in.

The 35-stone monster knocked at the door of the Loknar family from Gerovo in western Croatia three times and they are now refusing to answer the door, ananova reports.

"I opened the door and saw him standing there and I didn't believe my eyes at first, then I ran for it as he walked in as if it was the most normal thing in the world," mother Nevenka Loknar said.

"Bears are a common thing in the woods around here, but no one has ever heard of a bear that knocks at the door.

"The bear is so intelligent it's incredible."

It appears as though the bear got lucky when he nudged the door for the first time and has continued to do so since believing he will get an answer again.
My friend advised me to take care and take precautions against this kind of break-in by buying a heavy safe for refrigeration and doing a little creative welding. Ha! That may keep out the bear, but it won't stop Noogs and Babs if they're so inclined to raid the fridge.

3 comments:

Darwin said...

Sounds almost like a Thurber cartoon. Do you think the bear can take it or leave it alone?

Now all it has to do is learn to say, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

Anonymous said...

If a bear comes in my house, I'm not going to discourage him from going into the refrigerator. I wouldn't want him looking for other sources of food, if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Obviously your daughters are "smarter than the average bear." So if any bears come knocking at your door, don't worry about whether your food is safely stowed in a heavy safe. Just point him out to the girls and say, "Sic 'em!)