Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Vinegar Pie

As we were reading Little House in the Big Woods, I was struck by Ma's Christmas baking. Rye 'n Injun bread, dried berry pies, and... vinegar pie? Intrigued, I looked up the recipe, and here it is. The recipe site avers that the pie is unusual but tasty. I plan to spring it on unsuspecting friends for Thanksgiving. If it's good it will be a hit, and if it's just too odd it will simply be a historical curiosity on the dessert table. Try it yourself and let me know what you think.

1 c. sugar
3 heaping tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. cold water
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
2 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. vinegar
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked

Instructions:
Mix sugar and flour in saucepan.
Add water, egg yolks (reserve egg whites), whole egg, butter and vinegar.
Cook until thick.
Pour into baked 9 inch pie shell.

For Meringue:
Beat reserved egg whites until stiff.
Add 4 tablespoons sugar, spread over pie.
Brown meringue lightly.

10 comments:

Julie D. said...

I think this would be very similar to Buttermilk Pie. Consider that the way to "sour" milk is to add vinegar. Probably quite good. :-)

mrsdarwin said...

You know, you're right. I was reading the recipe and trying to imagine what on earth it must taste like, and failing utterly. I've never had buttermilk pie, but now I've established a taste in my head. The eggs were what drew my attention, so I figured it must be some sort of custard pie, but Ive never had custard pie either.

I know I'll be consulting my Joy of Cooking when it comes time for the meringue. I've never made one before, and these instructions seem deceptively simple.

Jenny said...

I think I'm going to try making this tonight. It's too weird sounding not to try and uses all pantry staples. I'll let you know how it is.

mrsdarwin said...

Do! I hope you like it.

Anonymous said...

This maybe a pie that I will have to try. I usually don't do pie, so please, Mrs. Darwin, don't disappoint.

Julie D. said...

Buttermilk pie is a custard pie but almost tastes like ... cheesecake? Or a very light lemony taste? Not sure how to describe it but I love it! I've only had it when other people have brought it to something because I just never think of making it ... and I don't make pie a lot.

Julie D. said...

I forgot to say that the only tip I always see for meringue on pies is to be sure that the meringue around the edges touches the crust so there is a "seal" of sorts. I'm not fond of meringue so skip it if at all possible.

mrsdarwin said...

Joy of Cooking says that you're supposed to have the filling of a pie very hot when you put on the meringue so that the bottom cooks right away and you don't get a slippery layer between the meringue and the pie. I'm curious to try it, as I can't make my pumpkin pie and my chocolate cake roll (take note, Big Tex!) until AFTER my Penzey's order comes, whenever that may be.

Jenny said...

So I made the vinegar pie. It wasn't bad. I used cider vinegar figuring it was something they would have had back then (and I was out of normal white vinegar). I browned it under the broiler and it looked very pretty. I chilled it overnight to set up. However, this morning it still puddled when I cut into it. The custard cooked up nice and thick, so I think next time I will add some gelatin to help it retain its shape. Interesting pie, worth making, but don't think I'll be adding it to my favorites. It's similar to lemon, but I think lemon is much better. Thanks for the recipe though!

mrsdarwin said...

Yeah, cider vinegar was what I was planning to use as well.

I was thinking about making it tonight and letting it chill for two days, until Thanksgiving. I wonder if the extra time would allow it to set, or if it's just hopeless? And would you recommend adding some lemon zest? I love lemon pie.

I think I'll read my Joy of Cooking (my culinary bible, in case you couldn't tell!) and see what they suggest for both buttermilk and lemon pie fillings.