Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What Men Want

I've had this theory going for a while, so tell me what you think...

People tend to like people like themselves. Thus, some women paint a picture of the ultimate 'sensitive guy' they'd like to meet: basically a man with women's sensibilities.

I'm wondering if one of the things that men find attractive in a woman is if she seems to find attractive/enjoyable in herself pretty much the same thing that a man would. A woman who likes wearing heels, form fitting clothes, makeup, etc sees as attractive in herself the same thing that a man sees as attractive in her, while a woman who prefers to wear her pajamas to class in college simply likes being comfortable. Now, when you get down to it, most men also prefer being comfortable, so the woman who prefers her everyday grunge-around clothes actually thinks about herself more like a man thinks about himself. But the woman who likes to dress sexily thinks about herself the way a man thinks about women.

Of course, people who find themselves incredibly attractive are often somewhat self absorbed people. Which might explain why liking women who find themselves attractive can get you hooked up with some rather unfortunate personalities.

And perhaps the preference for women who find attractive what men find attractive explains the peculiar fascination of some men with things like this.

Discuss. Throwing things and quarrelling is encouraged.

11 comments:

Bernard Brandt said...

"Why can't a woman be more like a man?"

--Professor Harold Higgins (Vis Pygmalion and My Fair Lady)

Rick Lugari said...

Dawg! For the record I have no disordered fascinations. I don't make the news, I report it. When I can help my fellow man by providing insightful analysis to the happenings of modern society, then as an act of charity, I will do so.

A simple 'thank you' would have sufficed, after all, according to my sitemeter I've been helping you a lot lately. ;)

Darwin said...

I had to, Rick. Rhonda told me to.

:-)

Julie D. said...

Ouch! Get some ice cuz that burned!

Good one Darwin! :-0

Rick Lugari said...

Yeah, fair warning, buddy: That's not a healthy philosophy to have; the bridges only get higher from here.

Now I'll just go hide somewhere while you think about that. ;)

Rick Lugari said...

Et tu, Julie?

After all the mentoring I've done for you? Showing you how to be a good Catholic and true to the dignity of human person, and yet you twist the knife in my back.

I see. Perhaps Julie needs additional mentoring of some sort. Of course, Darwin wouldn't care; he enjoys observing Julie's lessons more than anyone.

mrsdarwin said...

Y'all behave down here. Don't make me get up, or someone's going to be in trouble...

Der Tommissar said...

Terrible. Simply terrible.

I hope you have all learned a valuable lesson.

Rick Lugari said...

MrsD,

You may want to revise your warning. Some people find watching pregnant women getting up to be funny, not to mention the eight-month waddle. Insensitive cads!

mrsdarwin said...

Well, I'm at five months, so it's not as bad as all that. It's more that my head aches and my nose is stuffed up. I say though, I hope that your wife doesn't know anything about cads laughing at her pregnant waddle...

Rick Lugari said...

If I've been told once, I've been told a million times: my wife does not waddle when she is pregnant. Just ask her...or better yet, ask Darwin; he seems all too willing to do her bidding.

;)