Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Technology Advances

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have stepped forward into the future. The future is now.

Once again this week, though another in our series of run-ins with the VCR we failed to tape Lost. Or to be precise, we only got the first ten minutes of it. We gnashed our teeth and watch the Sherlock Holmes with Rupert Everett that we'd taped some weeks ago. (It wasn't very good.)

But today, I took action. I moved into the future. I went to iTunes and downloaded the missed episode for $1.99. (To be watched on my laptop as soon as monkey the greater is sound asleep.) It's surprisingly easy and painless. And now that I've done it once, I have to ask myself: Why does anyone do TV any other way? If all TV was purchased on a per show basis, I'd save a good deal of money over what I pay for cable -- and it would be wonderfully fun into the bargain. Of course, I suppose that's why you have to pay for TV in general and not buy one show at a time. But seriously, I could like this business model...

5 comments:

Fidei Defensor said...

Darwin, sorry to post a completly unrelated comment but, I was tagged today by another Catholic blogger, I thought I'd get you in on the chain. Trust me this one is a good one, check out my post on it...
http://fideidefensor.blogspot.com/2005/11/meme-em-and-bag-em.html

Anonymous said...

Isn't "Lost" on one of those major networks you can pick up with an antenna?

See you guys soon.

Darwin said...

Well, yes. But not if you already failed to tape it...

And besides, it's on at 8pm and not really appropriate for small monkeys.

Julie D. said...

You're the first person I've come across who actually has had reason to buy one of those shows. Glad to hear it worked well ... and so glad you kept up with Lost. :-)

Jenny said...

You can also download shows for free using bitTorrent. We do that for shows on cable and some Canadian shows that we can't get here. The downside is that it has to be a show that someone else was nerdy enough to download and save. "Clean Sweep" the anti-clutter show that I love, does not attract the right kind of audience.