Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Other Bishop of Rome?

I'm used to hearing 'Bishop of Rome' used as a way of referring to the pope by denominations which don't want to concede that the pope is the pope. However, I find myself wondering, irrelevently, if there are other bishops of Rome. Is there an Anglican/Episcopal bishop of Rome? An Eastern Orthodox metropolican in Rome? It must be an oddly second string existence, but is seems likely that someone has a bishop of Rome other than the Catholic Church.

1 comment:

Bernard Brandt said...

As I recall, during the heyday of the British Empire, say, 1840 to 1917, there was an Anglican Bishop of Rome. I'm sure that this occasioned at least a few giggles among both the Anglo Catholic set and the protty prots among the Brits.

I'm given to understand, however, that they've toned down things a bit recently, and he is referred to as the Anglican Bishop in Rome.