Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The story of my prayer life

The truth is the Rosary can be a real chore. St. Thérèse, the Little Flower, was being more honest when she said, “I am ashamed to confess it, but the recitation of the Rosary costs me more than to use an instrument of penance. I feel I am saying it so badly. Try as I may to make myself meditate on the mysteries, I never manage to fix my thoughts on them."

This is a quote that speaks to me as I'm trying to make the rosary novena for the elections.

(h/t to Matthew Lickona)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that it is difficult to stay in the habit of reciting the rosary. I let myself get discouraged because I haven't memorized certain of the prayers (especially at the end), and instead of just forging ahead, I almost use that as an excuse not to do it at all.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Me too. I am sad to say that I find the rosary excruciating. At least I know I'm in good company. I have found using a book or a cd helps me to stay focused. I still avoid it, though. I can't find the book or cd becomes my excuse.