Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Blogoversary

It hardly seems like it, but the Darwins have been inhabiting the blogsphere for five years now. It doesn't seem like that long, though as I re-read our first post, I realize that we had only two children then -- though looking back I realize miss #3 was, as the saying goes, a gleam in her father's eye right around then. And here we are expecting our fifth to be born within the next few weeks.

I also remember, looking over the first month, that it took a while to get used to thinking in terms of blog posts. I'd find myself struggling for topics, whereas these days topics are no problem, but I struggle for time.

Still, three of those June 2005 posts remain among those I recall as my better ones, and am surprised to realize were written so long ago:

Population & Ideology

Send me your poor...

Your child's disabled?

I think at least once a year since starting I've toyed seriously with dropping blogging, as it's something that's hard to do half-way. It becomes a mentality after a while, with thoughts and observations always coming in the form of post ideas. However, the interaction itself is rather addictive. And I would certainly recommend to anyone with an interesting in writing the habit of writing for public consumption on a near daily basis.

Not just that, but there is a sense in which the virtual world becomes a real community over time. Indeed, some of our close friends locally are people we originally ran into via the blog. And it also allows distant friends to keep tabs on us.

So here's to five years, and I'm sure there will be many more. It's good to know you.

7 comments:

bearing said...

And you as well! :-)

RL said...

Congratulations. I for one have appreciated your Gnosto-Calvinist Christo-fascist baby worshipping presence.

;)

Donald R. McClarey said...

RL I couldn't have said it better myself! I salute the Darwins on their first blogging lustrum. May they have many more!

Kyle Cupp said...

Here's to another five and more! I still think it's wild how I didn't realize I knew you both when I started reading Darwin Catholic. Good times all. Cheers!

Bob the Ape said...

Happy blogoversary!

Brandon said...

I'm glad you've kept blogging all this time!

Darwin said...

Kyle,

The idea of getting to know someone under one identity, and then realizing one knows them under another, seems oddly fascinating. I need someone to do this to me sometime...