Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Friday, March 06, 2009

Seven Quick Takes

As always, thanks to Jen for hosting.

1. I'm getting my hair cut this weekend. I don't know if it says something about me that I want to look like Eve Harrington.


I guess that's better than Darwin and his flowing locks.

2. I find it was a mistake to not specifically give up something food-related during Lent, especially as we have have all sorts of candy bribes toilet-training rewards sitting around. Getting up early and saying Morning Prayer is working out pretty well, though.

3. What makes me laugh: Tom Cruise dancing in Tropic Thunder.


Warning: rap song profanity

4.One of the top songs during the Depression was Brother, Can you Spare a Dime? Thanks to a friend's Greatest Hits of the Thirties songbook, I knew the song before the current resurgence, and it's a blast to play on the piano. Here's Al Jolson singing his heart out:


5. Isabel turned three this week, and I can't believe how big she's getting.

Wow, three.

6. After watching 300, I wanted to learn more about what actually happened at the battle of Thermopylae. Darwin recommended that I read Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae by Steven Pressfield. I had two reactions: 1, the Spartans were pretty amazing; and 2, Thank God my little boy doesn't have to go through Spartan training.

7. Thanks to Big Tex's recommendation of The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess, whereas four months ago I could not even do one lunge, I can now blast through 10 Bulgarian split squats without batting an eye. Hoo, fitness!

7 comments:

Kiwi Nomad said...

Isabel looks very very happy with that teaset, and I can imagine the great games she might invent with it. I am glad your little boy doesn't have to do Spartan training too!

TS said...

Flowing locks like a young Goethe!

Anonymous said...

Bulgarian split squats! Feel the pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine said...

I'm trying to image you with a haircut like that...seems like her hair required alot of work.
And I may have to read the book in #6, sounds interesting.

PS - Incase John didn't tell Mr. Darwin we're moving to Dallas this summer. Hope to see you somewhat soon.

mrsdarwin said...

Christine, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again! We should all go down to to the Catholic New Media Conference in San Antonio in late June.

Anonymous said...

Tom Holland's "Persian Fire" is a really good introduction to the Persian wars, if you're interested :)

Bill E. said...

By the way, Congrats to Mrs. Darwin's sister on winning that Shakespeare Competition thing. Ya all better recognize no perpin'.