Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Seven Quick Takes

Thanks as always to Jen for hosting.

1. The light posting this week was partially due to the wave of sickness that swept the house. Darwin and the baby spent all day in bed with fevers on Wednesday (the day after this post, for all concerned about Darwin's sliding work ethic). The other children did NOT spend all day in bed.

2. The WSJ did an interview with pianist Murray Perahia, in which his playing was extolled as having "lapidary precision". Wondering what that meant, I listened to his interpretation of Bach's Goldberg Variations.


Each note is indeed a gem, cut, polished, and set in Goldberg. This CD is on the top of my to-buy list.

3. The baby started rolling over last Friday. Since then he's rolled off a bed twice, rolled off the couch twice, thrown himself out of his Bumbo seat (which was on the floor, fortunately) and worked the tray off his swing and thrown himself out. I'm afraid to put him anywhere but the floor now. When I have to leave him sleeping in my bed, I tuck him well with pillows, for when the madness takes him, he must needs roll.

4. Also -- he bit my finger on Monday. It starts.

5. I hadn't thought I'd had a problem, but after inadvertently buying a box of decaffeinated tea, I fell asleep twice during the day.

6. Gardening time! This really merits its own post. We've started our seedlings, and this year we're thinking heat resistance. We've loaded up our seedling trays with two different kinds of tomatoes, two different varieties of squash (which I hope we like, because they've gone mad in there), bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatillos, serranos, two different varieties of eggplant (one of which, Money Maker, had vivid blue seeds), and strawberries. Darwin has extended the garden this year, and we've been reading Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook for design ideas. Pictures soon.

7. I've come to the sad realization that I just can't wear one of my favorite colors -- robin's egg blue. It simply doesn't work with my coloring. That, however, wouldn't stop me from buying one of these if the opportunity ever presented itself:
What a fabulous color!

4 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

We've optimistically started three kinds of peppers, four kinds of tomatoes and tomatillos. We're not sure we want to try much more than that as this will be our first year and we've yet to actually construct the garden. The eggplants sound great, though, especially with my recent moussaka cravings.

mrsdarwin said...

I hope all this stuff takes. If we'd had to live off of what we grew last year, we'd have starved.

BTW, I put up the wrong set of variations at first, but now the video is the right one.

Kaycee said...

Hi, just stopping by from Conversion Diary.

I love that stove!

My youngest has just started climbing, even his playpen will not hold him now. I don't know what to do with him.

love2learnmom said...

When we were first married, we lived in old, very cheap apartments, with a very cute (and amazingly serviceable) 1950s era stove in just about that color.