Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Monday, March 02, 2009

So Much For Selection

While out on a round of birthday shopping (typically last minute) for our Now Very Big Three-Year-Old Girl, I stopped by Borders thinking, "Surely a place as big as Borders will have the currently in-print translations of Dante and I can see if any of them have footnotes on every page instead of the end of each canto."

Ha. More fool I.

I checked in both Literature and Poetry (a two bookshelf section sharing an aisle with the much larger Gay & Lesbian section) but they did not have a single Dante translation. Not one.

And they wonder why we say the world is going to the dogs.

So I spent a little time yesterday evening browsing the Look Inside! links on Amazon and it appears that there are no current editions with notes on the bottom of the page. Sorry, Bearing. I am, however, very curious to pick up the Anthony Esolen translations. Soon, but soon, I hope.

If you don't mind reading online, the Cotter translation has notes right next to the text.

7 comments:

bearing said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

It would be nicer to read all comfy in bed with a book, but at least I can maybe keep up with you with the online Cotter translation.

Darwin said...

Actually, since it's easy to cut and paste, the Cotter translation is what I usually excerpt in my posts -- though I occasionally use the online Mandelbaum or type in something from Sayers (which is what I currently have in DT.)

Barb said...

Happy Birthday to that sweet little three year old...

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Not a single Dante? Wow, that is bleak. I thought they'd at least have one. Isn't The Inferno still on many high school required reading lists?

Darwin said...

Not a damned one.

What the hell are we coming to?

Better stop that line of humor before the mountain grows much above me...

Kevin J. Jones said...

The Borders closest to me groups Dante in the Classics session, near the one or two shelves of Greek and Latin Loeb editions of ancient works.

Darwin said...

I suppose it might have been here as well. The "Classical Studies" section was edged in with the History section, and I didn't think to check there.