Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Practicing Obedience

Every now and then I wonder, "If I were in the convent, how would I handle the whole 'obedience' issue?" Now, it seems, I'm to find out. My midwife tells me that I have borderline high blood pressure and should be laying down most of the time. This is a task that I find most onerous -- partly because there's Stuff to be done, and partly because it's boring, and partly because my girls are always into something. (At this very moment I'm putting off going downstairs to see what Babs is doing with what sounds like the box of cheerios. I heard her exclaim, "Oh, what a big mess! Naughty!")

But if I don't want my blood pressure to cross that borderline and actually become high -- putting me in line for true bed rest or, God forbid, a hospital birth -- I have to obey the midwife on this and stay down most of the day. It's hard to focus on the eventual benefits when in the short term laying around means a messier house, too much tv for the girls, more work for Darwin, and boredom for me, but I suppose this is a valuable opportunity to practice being obedient even when it's inconvenient to me.

Still, it wouldn't hurt if you all said a prayer for my blood pressure to lower a bit, or -- better yet! -- for baby to come a bit early.

6 comments:

Julie D. said...

Consider it done! Prayers ascending...better grab another chocolate bar... :-D

Rick Lugari said...

Pregnant + high blood pressure? It could only be a chocolate overdose.

Okay...who's been risking this young mother and child's health by pumping her full of chocolate? Whoever it is should be ashamed of themself!

I'll pray for you, kiddo.

Kiwi Nomad said...

All the best. Take care and do as the midwife says!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Mrs D, I read about you on Julie's blog....please know you have another one out there in Cyber Land keeping you and Baby D in prayers for a healthy "rest of the pregnancy!"

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor dear...

Many prayers for you and baby, and a safe delivery for you!

(From now on, no splurging! Bad Mrs. D. Bad.)

mrsdarwin said...

Thank you all very kindly. It's nice to know you all care. (Snuff!)